Concrete comes in many different types and substrates that can be found both for both interior and exterior applications. There are Concrete Driveways, Vertical Brick Walls, Brick Paver Patios, Basement Floors, etc. Concrete is very porous and can be prone to degradation from Water, Ultra Violet Radiation, wear and tear, etc. By sealing or waterproofing your concrete surface you will add life and protection to your surface.
So what is the Best Concrete Sealer?
The answer to that is dependent on why you are sealing, what surface you are trying to seal, and what your final expectations are.
There are many different types of sealers for concrete and masonry surfaces. Concrete sealers come in both water based and solvent based formulas. They come in generic formulas for all surfaces or formulas that are specific to the surface you are applying to. For example, you would want a Brick Paver Sealer for a Paver Patio and a Chimney Sealant for your Chimney but you could use MasonrySaver All Purpose Water Repellent for both.
So why seal your concrete or brick? The main reasons to seal and waterproof your concrete are:
1. Preventing hairline cracks due to water expansion during freeze/that cycles.
2. Prevent water penetration and seepage of water through walls and foundations.
3. Enhance the appearance by adding a gloss or darkening the overall color.
4. Prevent damage from deicing salts during winter months.
5. Provide protection from “Pitting” or “Spalling” or deterioration of the concrete causing chunks of the concrete to separate from the concrete structure.
Once we understand the surface we are treating and what the reasons we are treating the surface for, then we can narrow down what would be the best concrete sealer to use.
Here is an example of concrete surface in Florida (answers in Red):
1. What State do you live in? Florida
2. Interior or Exterior concrete surface? Exterior
3. Vertical or Horizontal application? Horizontal
4. Change or enhance appearance (gloss or wet look) or no change of appearance? Wet Look/Gloss
5. Type of surface examples: Driveway, Paver Patio, Brick Wall, etc. Paver Driveway
Based on the answers you would want a sealer that is specific to brick pavers, gives excellent UV resistance since it is in Florida, while adding a shiny enhanced look. Based on these questions you would want to look at:
Feel free to answer these questions for help choosing the “the best concrete sealers for me”. Just post a comment below and based on your answers, we will suggest a couple of different options of what sealant or water repellent you should use:
Please include any additional information that would be useful!
Make Sure to Include Answers to the 5 Questions in Comment Area Below!
Average Article Ratings Score