This post was most recently updated on January 26th, 2022
Update 2022 for H&C Gloss Concrete Sealer Review
As of 2022, we have found that the H&C Gloss Concrete Sealer has shown issues on Stamped Concrete, Brick Pavers, and other Decorative Concrete Surfaces. If you have any questions on the H&C Gloss Concrete Sealer product, please ask below in our Q&A area. We are here to help!
H&C Concrete Sealer Clear Gloss Oil-based is a solvent-based sealer formulated with a silicone acrylic resin. H&C’s Concrete Sealer Clear Gloss is a 23% solids high gloss coating for virtually any outdoor application. It seals and protects while providing a durable non-yellowing finish. It can be used as a decorative glaze on masonry walls, brick, and other cementitious materials.
Tested on Stamped Concrete and Brick Pavers
H&C Gloss Concrete Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 5
– H&C Gloss did a poor to average job of darkening brick pavers. It performed slightly better for the stamped concrete over the brick pavers but sill not nearly as good as the other solvent-based acrylic sealers.
Gloss Level: 7.5
– Not bad for the gloss level. H&C Gloss concrete sealer contains 23% solid acrylic. This is an average amount for solvent-based sealers. One coat showed little to no gloss but the second coat did make a difference and we ended up with a satin sheen to the pavers and a semi-gloss for the stamped concrete.
Joint Sand Hardening: 6
– For the brick pavers, the H&C Gloss did help solidify the top 1/4″ of the sand. When we tested below that, the sand had not hardened at all.
Fading/Wearing After 2 Years: 6
– The gloss level for the H&C Gloss faded about 40% after 2 years. The wet look was about the same. No peeling was noticeable.
White Haze/Yellowing: 8
– The sealer after two years had no discoloration or yellowing of the brick pavers. Unfortunately, the sealer did not fare nearly as well on our stamped concrete. The was a very noticeable white look to the sealer.
Overall Score H&C Gloss Concrete Sealer Sealer at 2 Year Period: 6.7
– H&C Gloss Concrete Sealer is a popular sealer sold at local hardware stores and paint outlets. While it is better than many Big Box Store products, it is, unfortunately, a below-average sealer in our opinion. It has a lower solid count for an acrylic sealer and does not seem to be breathable, hence the white haze on the stamped concrete. The gloss level was average and the wet look was poor. Required 2 coats while many solvent-based acrylic sealers only needed one coat.
There are better solvent-based acrylic sealers than this on the market!
Where To Buy Online: Sherwin Williams
Sealer Type: Gloss Solvent-Based 23% Acrylic
Types of Substrates: Brick, Concrete, Aggregate, Decorative Stamped
Coats Required: 2 coats
Coverage Per Gallon: 100-200 sq. ft
Application Tools: Roller
Dry Time: 1-4 Hours
Cleanup: Solvent – Xylene
VOC Compliant: Not Compliant in all States
Manufacturer: H&C Concrete
Surface Type: Stamped Concrete Walkway and Brick Pavers
UV Exposure: Full Sun
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different surface types, exposure to UV radiation, and traffic.