This post was most recently updated on January 26th, 2022
2022 Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD
As of 2022, we have found that the Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD is prone to premature wearing and peeling after only two years. If you have any questions on the Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD, please ask below in our Q&A area. We are here to help!
Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD Manufacturer Description
Brighten your garage with a clean, glossy, showroom-quality floor that is 5 times stronger than 1-part floor paints. Rust-Oleum® EPOXYSHIELD® Garage Floor Coating Kit applies in one easy coat and protects against gasoline, antifreeze, motor oil, salt, hot tire pick-up and cracking—for years to come.
EpoxyShield® Water-based Epoxy Garage Floor Coating is a two-component, water-based epoxy floor coating designed for finishing concrete garage floors that are in good sound condition and are free of curing agents and sealers. It is not intended for use on unsound previous coatings or floors that have a moisture problem. Dries to a gloss finish. Solid base color with a color fleck finish.
Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD Review
– Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD was fairly easy to apply. We did not like the pouches that it comes in. Much easier to use cans when mixing the components together. The application was straightforward after mixing. Applies “thinner” than other brands we have tested. Dried in 4 hours.
Gloss Level after Application: 7
– The lower solid content of the Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD gave our test garage a medium gloss shine after 24 hours of drying.
Overall Appearance after Application: 7
– Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD is thinner in consistency than some of the other DIY brands. While it did harden and bond to the surface, it did not look as durable or thick as an Epoxy that is a 100% solid version. Looked more or less like a thicker floor paint with some added flecks.
– Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD had lost about 30% of the coating and gloss at the 2-year mark.
Solid Percentage of Epoxy: 5.5
– The Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD is 55% solids by volume. Very thin comparably.
Overall Score Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD at 2 Year Period: 6.7
– The Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD is a very average Epoxy Coating kit that is marketed towards the DIY market. As professional contractors who have been restoring concrete for 20+ years, we will not be using it again in the future. The Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD applies, looks, and performs like floor paint, not a high-end Epoxy. Unfortunately, we will have to grind off the remaining coating to fix and start over with more durable products
Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD Product Information:
Where To Buy: Lowes, Home Depot, National Hardware Chain Stores
Coating Type: Two-component, Water-Based Epoxy 55% Solids
Types of Substrates: Garage Floors, Basements, Shop Floors
Coats Required: 1 coat
Coverage Per Gallon: 200-250 sq. ft per kit
Application Tools: Roller
Dry Time: 12-24 Hours
Rust-Oleum EPOXYSHIELD Test Stats:
Surface Type: Garage Floor, never sealed previously.
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different surface types, exposure to UV radiation, and traffic.