This post was most recently updated on January 30th, 2023
2023 Rust-Oleum RockSolid Rating
As of 2023, we have found that the Rust-Oleum RockSolid has poor coverage results and uneven color after application. If you have any questions on the Rust-Oleum RockSolid, please ask below in our Q&A area. We are here to help!
Rust-Oleum RockSolid Manufacturer Description
Rust-Oleum RockSolid 76 oz. Gray Polycuramine 1 Car Garage Floor Kit (2 Pack) offers unsurpassed durability. The unique Polycuramine formula is 20 times stronger than epoxy. Resists salt, oil, gas, and other harsh chemicals, this is one of the toughest floor coatings available. Works great on workshop floors, garage floors, and other interior concrete surfaces. Zero VOCs and a low odor make it a great choice for indoor applications. Easy to maintain, lasts a lifetime while still looking fantastic.
Rust-Oleum RockSolid Epoxy Review
– Rust-Oleum RockSolid coverage was not close to the suggested amount on the box at about 1/2 or 150 sq. feet per kit. This is a known issue with the brand and product you will find numerous other online reviews complaining about this problem. We do not like the pouches that it comes in and were prone to leaking. The supplied roller does not hold up and falls apart when used. Took 2-3 days to fully cure and dry.
Gloss Level after Application: 8
– The Rust-Oleum RockSolid gave our test garage a higher gloss shine after the 24 hours of drying but the gloss level was not consistent throughout the garage floor.
Overall Appearance after Application: 6
– The Rust-Oleum RockSolid comes in pouches and when using two different kits/pouches and then applying, we noticed that the color is not consistent between the kits.
Appearance/Peeling/Wearing After 2 Years: 8
– Rust-Oleum RockSolid had lost about 20% of the coating and gloss at the 2-year mark. Also numerous scratches on the surface.
Solid Percentage of Epoxy: 9
– The Rust-Oleum RockSolid states it is 90% solids by volume. Better than the other DIY brands but still felt “thin” in consistency.
Overall Score Rust-Oleum RockSolid at 2 Year Period: 7.2
– The Rust-Oleum RockSolid is an average Epoxy Coating kit that is marketed towards the DIY market. The positives are that it has a higher solid content than any other DIY kit that you can find at a Big Box Store and it does come in a high gloss. The negatives are the poor sq. foot coverage and the colors are not consistent between each kit. These issues have been well documented with other consumer reviews. The Rust-Oleum RockSolid holds up slightly better than other brands but still had some wearing issues.
Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID Epoxy Product Information:
Where To Buy: Lowes, Home Depot, National Hardware Chain Stores, Amazon
Coating Type: Two-component, Water-Based Epoxy 90% Solids
Types of Substrates: Garage Floors, Basements, Shop Floors
Coats Required: 1 coat
Coverage Per Gallon: 200-250 sq. ft per kit. Actual in test 150 Sq Feet.
Application Tools: Roller
Dry Time: 12-24 Hours
Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID Epoxy Test Stats:
Surface Type: Garage Floor, never sealed previously.
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different surface types, exposure to UV radiation, and traffic.
The Best Epoxy Coating Video
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing, concrete sealing, and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior restoration. Scott and his restoration Michigan company have restored over 10,000 projects in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the restoration industry and has contributed to numerous restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.
Ii used the rock solid on garage floor. I followed all the instructions. After two weeks and warm weather it is already pealing. It works great on metal though.
I purchased Rust-o-leum Rocksolid floor apoxy and applied it approx 6 months ago. Today, the front half of the garage floor has yellowed because I have the garage door open alot(according to rust-o-leum customer service because the sunand no UV protection). WOW. that was their response with no refund because I didnt keep the itemized receipt. Showed them a bank statement and they said the home depot could get the detail…..thay would not. I had the old box in a pic that i also sent them. DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT….IT IS JUNK AND CUSTOMER SERVICE WONT DOANYTHING…BEWARE
I hate rustoleum
Rustoleum products are terrible. They came out with the sandless cabinet refinishing several years ago, including a product that was supposed to degloss cabs so you didn’t have to sand them. It sold well, but countless people now have cabinet paint that is chipping and peeling off. I understand why a lot of people have problems with epoxy, as it is tricky to get it right, but the cabinet stuff is very straightforward and easy to understand and do. The problem is, the PRODUCTS in those kits are bad, they just don’t work. And the paint in the kits is… Read more »
Hi there . I used the rock solid clear coat gloss kit , waited a week , looked great .
Went to mop up some shoe marks then it all went Matt in the areas I put any water . Now it is tacky in those areas and dull . I have attached an
Image and am lost to what to do .
Not sure why but this is one reason we never use thier products. You should contact them for help.
Hi I have used the rustoleum Rocksolid paint Grey color for 2.5Garage. After painting the garage, I can see two shades of gray. I tried to contact Rustoleum their customer service is very bad. Not sure now what needs to be done on this. They are trying to give epoxy 9100 which I don’t want. Spent 255 dollars to make dirty garage.
Their products and customer service are not good.
This product peeled in within a few months. Followed all directions. Cheap paint.
I used this Rocksolid epoxy in 2017 and it started peeling within a year. Not happy as it never looked good. Rust-Oleum products are very poor and will never use them again. Their Deck Coating did the same thing at my house and I see they have a lawsuit against them for it.