This post was most recently updated on January 16th, 2024
Update 2024 for Surebond SB-4000 Sealer Review
SB-4000 Water Repelling Invisible Sealer is a water-based, penetrating, low VOC sealer that provides an invisible, durable barrier against liquid absorption on retaining walls, concrete, and pavers. The finish has a natural look that does not affect the appearance of the substrate.
Concrete Sealer Ingredients: Blend of Siloxanes
Concrete Sealer Type: Penetrating Clear Sealer
SB-4000 Concrete Sealer Scores (1-10)
Ease of Application: 10
– The SB-4000 is very easy to apply and dries within an hour. We used a Chapin concrete sealer sprayer and applied 5 gallons of the sealer to 750 sq. feet in under 20 minutes.
Water Repellency: 9
– Surebond SB-4000 has excellent water repellency for the brick blocks. Water beaded up and there was very little penetration, even with a heavy flow of water on the surface.
Cost per foot: 7
– The Surebond SB-400 is one of the more expensive sealers on the market. They do offer very good results, though. Out cost was about $.25 a sq.foot to apply, almost double of other brands.
Durability/Spalling After 2 Years: 8
– After 2 years the Surebond 4000 still beaded up water and there was not visible hairline cracks or pitting on the blocks. Conditions were virtually the same but with a small amount of mold and green algae.
– The manufacturer is very vague on the warranty with no actual dates.
Overall Score SB-4000 Concrete Sealer: 8
– The SB-400 would have rated higher if it was not for the warranty. We like concrete sealer warranties that protect for 5, 6, or more years. Besides the warranty, the SB-4000 is an excellent and capable concrete sealer and water repellent.
*Application is great, works well and repels water, but the warranty is vague.
Surebond SB-4000 Product Information:
Where To Buy Online: SB-4000
Types of Substrates: Concrete, Brick, Masonry, Natural Stone
Coats Required: 1 coat
Coverage Per Gallon: 100-200 sq. ft
Application Tools: Pump Sprayer, Roller, Brush
Dry Time: 1-2 Hours
Cleanup: Soap and Water
VOC Compliant: Compliant in all States
Surebond SB-4000 Test Stats:
Surface Type: Concrete Horizontal Blocks
Exposure: Low Traffic Pool Area
How Many Years Tested: 2 Years
*All products tested and results are from our experience. We offer no guarantee of similar results. Take into consideration that results may differ due to different surface types, exposure to UV radiation, and traffic.
As an article and comment contributor to the site, Scott has been around the pressure washing industry since attending college. In 1993 he started his first company called Oakland Pressure Wash specializing in exterior pressure washing, concrete sealing, and deck staining. That company evolved into OPW L.L.C. shortly thereafter concentrating more on exterior restoration. Scott and his restoration Michigan company have restored over 10,000 projects in the Metro Detroit area since the early years. He has become an authority in the restoration industry and has contributed to numerous restoration forums and informative sites.
All the products he suggests through this site are sold through online sites and in retail stores, allowing the consumer to choose their own means of purchase. Scott’s eCommerce sites do sell many top brands he endorses and if you appreciate any of the help he has offered then feel free to purchase from one of them.