Protecting pavers from the elements is an important part of maintaining their appearance and longevity. This can be done by periodically applying a paver sealer to block out moisture and fading UV rays. A paver sealer will also hinder weed growth, moss, and mildew from growing in the paver joints and on the surface. It can also reduce sand joint erosion as well.
Certain paver sealers are better than others. There have been complaints from homeowners using inferior paver sealers that most commonly say the sealer has turned white. A milky white appearance on the surface of pavers can occur when a low-quality paver sealer is used. This milky or cloudy white appearance is extremely unsightly and can be difficult to fix. The white hue is a sure sign that the sealer has failed and now needs to be dealt with in a way that will completely fix the problem.
INDUSTRA-GLOSS SB is a high-performance proprietary formulation of pure acrylic resin in a solvent base. Can be used as a cure, sealer and as a stain resistant surface protector. INDUSTRA-GLOSS SB is excellent for exterior and interior on most horizontal and vertical surfaces.
Driveways | Patios | Pavers | Stamped concrete | Garages | Showrooms | Exposed aggregate | Decorative Concrete
Tested on Stamped Concrete – 1 coat applied.
V-Seal Industra-Gloss SB Gloss Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 9
– V-Seal Industra-Gloss SB gave a beautiful wet look to our stamped concrete patio. This sealer enhanced the red and brown colors extremely well. Exactly what you would expect with a high solid, solvent based acrylic sealer.
Gloss Level: 9
– We applied 1 coat of the V-Seal Industra-Gloss to our stamped concrete. It applied at 150 sq. feet per gallon and the result was a gloss sheen. We did not bother applying a second coat as it did not need it.
H&C Paver Sealer Gloss is a premium quality sealer that protects pavers and prolongs the natural beauty only pavers can bring to an outdoor living area. This product applies milky white and dries clear to ensure complete coverage, and is extremely easy to apply. It provides excellent weather resistance while protecting the investment against water damage. It is solvent-free and VOC compliant, water-based.
Tested on Brick Paver Pool Deck – 2 coats applied.
H&C Paver Sealer Gloss Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 3
– We applied this sealer to a 6 month old brick paver patio around a pool. We had hoped to achieve a darkened enhanced look to the pavers. The sealer did very little to change the appearance.
Gloss Level: 6
– For a water based sealer, the H&C Paver Sealer did fairly well when it came to adding gloss shine. After applying 2 coats, we achieved a decent semi-gloss look.
BEHR PREMIUM® WET-LOOK SEALER is a clear, non-yellowing, high solids, acrylic-based masonry sealer. It is formulated to seal, protect and beautify concrete and masonry surfaces with a high gloss, wet-look finish. BEHR PREMIUM WET-LOOK SEALER is also an excellent topcoat for paints and stains.
Applied to a stamped concrete walkway.
Behr Wet Look Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 3
– Wet look? The Behr wet look sealer barely changed the appearance of the stamped concrete surface even after two coats. Went on milky white and dried milky as well.
Gloss Level: 3
– Behr claims that their sealer will leave a high gloss shine. After the two coast, we barely saw any remnants of any gloss let alone a high gloss. Very misleading marketing from Behr.
Before applying a concrete sealer or water repellent it is typically needed to prep the surface first. Prepping consists of cleaning with water and using a chemical cleaner that is specific to the stain you are trying to remove. Cleaners for concrete and brick pavers come in many different formulas.
Let’s look at the main reasons to clean and prep your concrete:
General Dirt and Grime Cleaning
When cleaning to remove dirt and grime you may just need water and a pressure washer. If the stains are stubborn, then a general all-purpose concrete cleaner or even bleach would help with the washing.
Why has my Brick Paver or Stamped Concrete Sealer Turned White?
This is a very common question and a fairly common occurrence. Typically this happens to filming acrylic based sealers that leave a shine on the surface. These sealers are typically applied to brick pavers and stamped concrete surfaces to enhance the overall appearance.
There is not one specific reason that your old sealer has blushed by turning white or cloudy so there is not one remedy to fix. In this article, we will go over the main reasons that your sealer has failed so you will be able to fix this problem permanently.