Surfaces such as indoor concrete can be sealed to protect against stains while offering a beautiful enhanced appearance. For an enhanced look with a little gloss the best sealer for indoor concrete that we have found is Masonry Saver Decorative Concrete Sealer. This versatile sealer can be used for indoor concrete surfaces such as stamped, decorative, brick, stone and other masonry surfaces. Masonry Saver Decorative Concrete Sealer protects concrete and masonry surfaces from color loss due to ultraviolet light. It also provides shielding against moisture, abrasions, and normal wear and tear.
Acrylic based paver sealers are formulated to seal and protect concrete and brick pavers leaving a wet look high gloss finish. They can be applied to previously coated or bare surfaces. Many of the acrylic based paver sealers are sold at local hardware and big box stores and paint outlets. Doing some research on acrylic based paver sealer leaves quit a bit of concern. When tested these products performed less than expected and some even made the surface look worse than it did prior to application.
One of the problems reported by homeowners using acrylic based paver sealers is an overall lack of gloss. These product are marketed to leave a beautiful “wet look” glossy finish but in most cases, even after applying 2 coats the finish was a matte sheen at best. Many customers leaving reviews report mostly a lack of that deep rich look they were hoping for. Joint sand hardening is average but nowhere near the solidity a quality solvent based paver sealer will provide.
Acrylic Based Sealers for Concrete and Paver Bricks
The acrylic based sealers are known as the “enhancing” sealers. They typically add a gloss or shiny look to the substrate’s surface similar to a “wet look”. These types of sealers can be either water or solvent based with the water based being lower VOC.
Acrylic sealers form a protective film atop the surface to create a barrier against water and stain absorption. They protect against freeze/thaw damage, salts and de-icing chemicals, staining, hot tire marks, and color fading. They make concrete and paver surfaces washable and easier to maintain.
MasonrySaver (Also known as Defy) Epoxy Fortified Paver Sealer is a durable, water-based, clear wet look concrete sealant designed to protect and beautify both clay brick and cement patio type paver stones, giving them a rich satin finish while also functioning as a paver sand sealer.
Paver Sealer provides protection from both water and the ultra-violet light of the sun. It can be used on most types of horizontal, above grade concrete applications including clay brick, clay paver stones, and natural stone.
Applied to a brick paver patio surrounding a pool.
Defy Paver Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 7.5
– The MasonrySaver Paver Sealer did darken the surface but not nearly as much as a solvent based sealer will. It definitely looked richer but was lacking in that deep rich look.
Gloss Level: 6.5
– It took two coats of the sealer to see some gloss. The gloss level was more of a matte shine, not a semi-gloss. Being that this install was around a pool, that could be a benefit for potential slipping.
SB-6000 Wet Look Sealer seals and enhances the natural colors of treated surfaces with a luxurious, wet look. It is breathable and will not trap naturally occurring efflorescence, allowing it to be applied immediately after paving stones are installed. SB-6000 Wet Look Sealer improves surface durability and freeze-thaw resistance while protecting the surface from salt, acid, and staining. SB-6000 Wet Look Sealer is a water-based, exterior quality, epoxy modified surface sealer.
Surebond SB-6000 Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 8
– For a water based sealer, SB-6000 does a better than average job with darkening the brick pavers with a rich wet look. Applies milky white but dries crystal clear.
Gloss Level: N/A
– SB-6000 is not designed to add a gloss or shine.
H&C Concrete Sealer Wet Look Water-based is a premium quality 100% clear acrylic sealer that will enhance and protect previously coated, bare concrete, and other masonry surfaces. It is a single component, nationally compliant sealer that can be applied to both interior or exterior applications. H&C Concrete Sealer Wet Look Water-based will apply milky white to ensure complete coverage but dries to a transparent, durable gloss finish.
Tested on Brick Pavers – 2 coats applied.
H&C Concrete Sealer Wet Look Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 5
– Being that this sealer is H&C’s designated “wet look” sealer, we expected a much richer look. The sealer did darken the surface but only slightly. Not on par with other water based sealers and not even close to a good solvent based sealer.
Gloss Level: 4
– H&C Wet Look Sealer had little to no gloss for the first coat and a matte sheen after the second coat.
BEHR PREMIUM® WET-LOOK SEALER is a clear, non-yellowing, high solids, acrylic-based masonry sealer. It is formulated to seal, protect and beautify concrete and masonry surfaces with a high gloss, wet-look finish. BEHR PREMIUM WET-LOOK SEALER is also an excellent topcoat for paints and stains.
Applied to a stamped concrete walkway.
Behr Wet Look Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 3
– Wet look? The Behr wet look sealer barely changed the appearance of the stamped concrete surface even after two coats. Went on milky white and dried milky as well.
Gloss Level: 3
– Behr claims that their sealer will leave a high gloss shine. After the two coast, we barely saw any remnants of any gloss let alone a high gloss. Very misleading marketing from Behr.