What is the best paver sealer to use?
2017 is here and time to review and apply a new Brick Paver sealer. This article is our top article on our Review site and there have been over 2400 Questions anAnswersrs on this topic. If you need advice on What is the Best Brick Paver Sealer for you, please ask below in the comment area.
Brick Paver Patios and landscaping blocks have become increasingly popular in the last 10-20 years. They offer an alternative to regular plain white concrete by adding old world charm which resembles walkways and streets of the 19th century. Brick Paver patios can be customized to be designed for any area. They are very popular for driveways, walkways, around pools, etc. Of course, with any exterior horizontal surface, there is a need for general maintenance with brick pavers by cleaning and sealing on a regular basis.
Brick paver sealers are water repellents and coatings that are specifically designed to be used on paver stones and block.
Paver sealers have 3 main functions:
SuperSeal30 is a Higher Gloss Concrete Sealer that can be used for many different types of concrete surfaces. SuperSeal30 is very popular for Brick Paver Patios, Exposed Aggregate, and Stamped Concrete. This sealer will darken the appearance and leave a shine.
The SuperSeal30 is a solvent based breathable acrylic sealer.
SuperSeal30 Paver and Concrete Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 10
– SuperSeal30 contains 30% solid content of acrylic. It darkened our 4-year-old paver patio as if wet with water and stayed that way after drying. Enhanced the natural red and brown tones in our paver bricks.
Gloss Level: 9
– The high solid content of the SuperSeal gave our paver patio a high gloss shine. The overall appearance on out test patio was quite rich looking but not too shiny that it looked “fake”. The sealer was slightly slippery for the first couple of weeks when it rained but after full curing, that was not an issue.
Paver sealers come in several different types of finishes. Sealer finishes can range from a matte or semi gloss to a high gloss or wet look appearance. In this article we want to address shiny paver sealers and how they differ from other finishes such as a wet look sealer, and yes there is a difference.
All paver sealers are used to help solidify sand joints between pavers, lock out unwanted moisture, reduce weed growth, reduce freeze and thaw damage, and of course to create a beautiful long lasting finish. In terms of the final finish of a sealer, a matte finish will not alter the appearance of the pavers while a shiny paver sealer will leave a glossy appearance. A wet look sealer will leave the pavers looking wet even after the sealer has dried but is not designed to add a shine.
Due to harsh weather conditions such as rain and harmful UV rays, it becomes necessary to protect exterior surfaces. The same goes for landscape pavers. Simply put, pavers will last longer and retain more of their original beauty if they are sealed and maintained on a regular basis.
Knowing how to seal pavers correctly can save you a lot of time and effort. It can also mean the difference between a simple weekend DIY project or having to hire it out to a professional. To seal pavers of any sort you first have to clean the surface. This most likely means using a pressure washer. If no stains are present on the pavers then using chemicals is not necessary. A pressure washer will remove any dirt, grime and pesky weeds or moss that have grown up through the sand joints. If stains are present like irrigation rust or oil then use a cleaner specific to that stain.
Solvent based Acrylic Concrete Sealers are designed to enhance, darken, and give a sheen to decorative concrete surfaces. Unfortunately when applied incorrectly or over applied you may have issues with “bubbles” forming in the sealer. This typically happens to Stamped Concrete or smooth decorative concrete surfaces.
When a solvent-based acrylic sealer is applied, some of the sealer penetrates into the porous concrete. If the application is too thick, or if too many coatings are applied, the solvent is not able to evaporate before the sealer dries. When that happens, the solvent gets trapped and eventually creates enough pressure that it forces its way out, creating the bubbles.
The SuperSeal VOC is a 25% solid solvent based acrylic that is primarily used for all exterior decorative concrete such as Brick Pavers, Stamped Concrete, Exposed Aggregate, etc. This sealer will darken the appearance and leave a shine similar to a semi-gloss.
It was one of a handful of solvent based sealers of this type that can still be shipped to states such as California.
Note: This sealer has the same properties as the SuperSeal25 but with an exempt solvent that allows it to be used for Low VOC restricted states.
SuperSeal VOC Paver and Concrete Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 10
– SuperSeal VOC enhanced the Stamped Concrete patio dramatically. The gray and red colors in the dye of the concrete were restored and enhanced to a rich color.
Gloss Level: 7
– SuperSeal VOC is a 25% solid styrene acrylic sealant. After drying the patio had retained a semi-gloss shine, Overall appearance was uniform and no bubbles in the sealer were present.
Sealing brick pavers is something that a do-it-yourselfer can do with good results. Sealing brick pavers such as a porch, patio, sidewalk, or driveway will have numerous benefits to the pavers and entire brick paver area.
Benefits of Sealing Pavers
INDUSTRA-GLOSS SB is a high-performance proprietary formulation of pure acrylic resin in a solvent base. Can be used as a cure, sealer and as a stain resistant surface protector. INDUSTRA-GLOSS SB is excellent for exterior and interior on most horizontal and vertical surfaces.
Driveways | Patios | Pavers | Stamped concrete | Garages | Showrooms | Exposed aggregate | Decorative Concrete
Tested on Stamped Concrete – 1 coat applied.
V-Seal Industra-Gloss SB Gloss Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 9
– V-Seal Industra-Gloss SB gave a beautiful wet look to our stamped concrete patio. This sealer enhanced the red and brown colors extremely well. Exactly what you would expect with a high solid, solvent based acrylic sealer.
Gloss Level: 9
– We applied 1 coat of the V-Seal Industra-Gloss to our stamped concrete. It applied at 150 sq. feet per gallon and the result was a gloss sheen. We did not bother applying a second coat as it did not need it.
H&C Paver Sealer Gloss is a premium quality sealer that protects pavers and prolongs the natural beauty only pavers can bring to an outdoor living area. This product applies milky white and dries clear to ensure complete coverage, and is extremely easy to apply. It provides excellent weather resistance while protecting the investment against water damage. It is solvent-free and VOC compliant, water-based.
Tested on Brick Paver Pool Deck – 2 coats applied.
H&C Paver Sealer Gloss Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 3
– We applied this sealer to a 6 month old brick paver patio around a pool. We had hoped to achieve a darkened enhanced look to the pavers. The sealer did very little to change the appearance.
Gloss Level: 6
– For a water based sealer, the H&C Paver Sealer did fairly well when it came to adding gloss shine. After applying 2 coats, we achieved a decent semi-gloss look.