What Sealer is Best for Stamped Concrete Patios
Stamped Concrete Patios and Driveways are decorative surfaces that have become popular in the last 10 years or so. These surfaces utilize patterns and different colors to create a dramatic look to your landscaping. As with any exterior concrete surface, Stamped patios need to be maintained on a consistent basis.
Failure to maintain your Stamped Concrete will result in:
SuperSeal30 is a Higher Gloss Concrete Sealer that can be used for many different types of concrete surfaces. SuperSeal30 is very popular for Brick Paver Patios, Exposed Aggregate, and Stamped Concrete. This sealer will darken the appearance and leave a shine.
The SuperSeal30 is a solvent based breathable acrylic sealer.
SuperSeal30 Paver and Concrete Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 10
– SuperSeal30 contains 30% solid content of acrylic. It darkened our 4-year-old paver patio as if wet with water and stayed that way after drying. Enhanced the natural red and brown tones in our paver bricks.
Gloss Level: 9
– The high solid content of the SuperSeal gave our paver patio a high gloss shine. The overall appearance on out test patio was quite rich looking but not too shiny that it looked “fake”. The sealer was slightly slippery for the first couple of weeks when it rained but after full curing, that was not an issue.
Sealing Exposed Aggregate patios, driveways, and walkways will enhance and protect your surface from damaging weathering and deicing salts. Sealing aggregate stone is something any homeowner can do with great results.
Benefits of Sealing Exposed Aggregate
SuperSeal25 is a Semi-Gloss Concrete Sealer that can be used for Brick Paver Patios, Exposed Aggregate, and Stamped Concrete. This sealer will darken the appearance and leave a shine similar to a semi-gloss.
The SuperSeal25 is a 25% solid solvent based breathable acrylic sealer and curing compound. This product is suitable for use on interior and exterior concrete surfaces.
SuperSeal25 Paver and Concrete Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 10
– SuperSeal25 darkened the paver driveway very well giving the surface a much needed enhanced look. All of the colors in the pavers stood out, restoring the original look.
Gloss Level: 8
– SuperSeal25 contains 25% solids. This left a semi-gloss shine to our driveway. The sealer dried in a few hours and we were able to drive on the surface the next day.
Acrylic based paver sealers are formulated to seal and protect concrete and brick pavers leaving a wet look high gloss finish. They can be applied to previously coated or bare surfaces. Many of the acrylic based paver sealers are sold at local hardware and big box stores and paint outlets. Doing some research on acrylic based paver sealer leaves quit a bit of concern. When tested these products performed less than expected and some even made the surface look worse than it did prior to application.
One of the problems reported by homeowners using acrylic based paver sealers is an overall lack of gloss. These product are marketed to leave a beautiful “wet look” glossy finish but in most cases, even after applying 2 coats the finish was a matte sheen at best. Many customers leaving reviews report mostly a lack of that deep rich look they were hoping for. Joint sand hardening is average but nowhere near the solidity a quality solvent based paver sealer will provide.
To change the appearance of pavers and concrete you can have tint or color added. This can be done to concrete or pavers that are being poured from a wet cement mix. The color can be added to the batch before it is poured into the form. For pavers or concrete that already exist, you can apply and colored concrete stain to the surface to change the appearance.
Once the tint or color is added to pavers or concrete the surface should then be sealed to help lock in the new color and protect the surface from harsh weather. As the sun beats down on concrete and paver surfaces the UV rays can break down the chemical bonds and fade the color like a bleaching effect. Some surfaces are more prone to fading such as those like pavers and concrete that have had dye color added to them. The darker the color the more prone it is to fading.
Acrylic Based Sealers for Concrete and Paver Bricks
The acrylic based sealers are known as the “enhancing” sealers. They typically add a gloss or shiny look to the substrate’s surface similar to a “wet look”. These types of sealers can be either water or solvent based with the water based being lower VOC.
Acrylic sealers form a protective film atop the surface to create a barrier against water and stain absorption. They protect against freeze/thaw damage, salts and de-icing chemicals, staining, hot tire marks, and color fading. They make concrete and paver surfaces washable and easier to maintain.
The SuperSeal VOC is a 25% solid solvent based acrylic that is primarily used for all exterior decorative concrete such as Brick Pavers, Stamped Concrete, Exposed Aggregate, etc. This sealer will darken the appearance and leave a shine similar to a semi-gloss.
It was one of a handful of solvent based sealers of this type that can still be shipped to states such as California.
Note: This sealer has the same properties as the SuperSeal25 but with an exempt solvent that allows it to be used for Low VOC restricted states.
SuperSeal VOC Paver and Concrete Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 10
– SuperSeal VOC enhanced the Stamped Concrete patio dramatically. The gray and red colors in the dye of the concrete were restored and enhanced to a rich color.
Gloss Level: 7
– SuperSeal VOC is a 25% solid styrene acrylic sealant. After drying the patio had retained a semi-gloss shine, Overall appearance was uniform and no bubbles in the sealer were present.
The original Glaze N Seal “Wet Look” Lacquer provides beautiful high gloss protection to decorative concrete, masonry, and natural stone. For use on porous materials. A clear, non-yellowing sealer that resists tough oils, water, and acid – indoors and outdoors. Deep bonding formula resists peeling, cracking, UV degradation and efflorescence. Great for driveways, patios, fountains, and pond.
Glaze ’N Seal is a crystal clear, high solids acrylic coating designed to protect and beautify concrete, masonry and tile surfaces. This super-tough film was formulated for interior or exterior use. Walk on it – drive on it (it does reject organic stains). It offers ultimate protection in a clear finish.
Brick Paver Patio – 1 coat applied.
Glaze N Seal Wet Look Sealer Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 8
– Glaze N Seal Wet Look is an excellent wet look sealer. The brick paver patio that we applied to had never been sealed since it was installed 6 years ago. The Glaze N Seal enhanced the gray and red paver bricks as if they were wet with water. The customer was very happy after application.
Gloss Level: 6
– Of the solvent based sealers, Glaze N Seal Wet Look is not the shiniest. The final gloss level after applying 2 coats was a nice matte shine.
INDUSTRA-GLOSS SB is a high-performance proprietary formulation of pure acrylic resin in a solvent base. Can be used as a cure, sealer and as a stain resistant surface protector. INDUSTRA-GLOSS SB is excellent for exterior and interior on most horizontal and vertical surfaces.
Driveways | Patios | Pavers | Stamped concrete | Garages | Showrooms | Exposed aggregate | Decorative Concrete
Tested on Stamped Concrete – 1 coat applied.
V-Seal Industra-Gloss SB Gloss Scores (1-10)
Wet Look: 9
– V-Seal Industra-Gloss SB gave a beautiful wet look to our stamped concrete patio. This sealer enhanced the red and brown colors extremely well. Exactly what you would expect with a high solid, solvent based acrylic sealer.
Gloss Level: 9
– We applied 1 coat of the V-Seal Industra-Gloss to our stamped concrete. It applied at 150 sq. feet per gallon and the result was a gloss sheen. We did not bother applying a second coat as it did not need it.